Welcome to the Galleon Theatre Company
“The Greenwich Playhouse is an enjoyably ambitious venue and is a solid producer of classics.” – Evening Standard
Galleon Theatre Company was founded, as an independent London theatre company, in 1988 by BRUCE JAMIESON and ALICE de SOUSA. For the last two decades, it has staged productions of incomparable quality and proved through a versatile repertoire of excellent theatre shows, including large cast revivals of the classics; World Premières of unfairly neglected European writers/stories; and full scale musicals – that it can do all these, equally well.
Galleon has for the last twenty years staged the most renowned plays written by the world’s greatest playwrights including, Shakespeare; Ibsen; Shaw; Chekhov; Webster; Wilde; Brecht; Ayckbourn; Albee; Marlowe; TS Elliot and several musicals by Stephen Sondheim.
Since 1995 the company has been resident at the venue which it established - the Greenwich Playhouse. Galleon Theatre Company is a registered charity; the Greenwich Playhouse is a not for profit theatre - both organisations receive no funding.
“This studio-sized venue has been put on the cultural map with productions of epic quality.”– South London Press
Galleon’s internationally acclaimed productions have provided work for thousands of theatre practitioners and entertained many thousands of people. Galleon has over the last two decades established itself as a leading London theatre company and its work is regularly recognised in the media and generously supported by audiences from all over the world.
- Galleon productions are presented with large casts of actors and offer the highest of production values. The standards of our shows are often compared by the media and the audiences to those achieved in the commercial and subsidised theatre sector.
- Galleon’s productions provide a platform for established actors and showcase new talent and recent drama school graduates.
- Galleon is a leading employer of theatre practitioners on London's small to middle scale theatre circuit.
- Galleon’s work is uniquely diverse and the company enjoys a vast theatrical repertoire.
“The Greenwich Playhouse really is producing the very best theatre in London.”- Remotegoat *****
Galleon Theatre Company - A Chronology - 1996-2012
THE DUCHESS OF MALFI by John Webster; HAMLET by William Shakespeare; THE MAiAS by Eça de Queirós; THE CHERRY ORCHARD’ by Anton Chekhov; THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST by Oscar Wilde; ARISTIDES - THE OUTCAST HERO by Alice de Sousa; THE MERCHANT OF VENICE by William Shakespeare ; HEDDA GABLER by Henrik Ibsen; THE MERCHANT OF VENICE by William Shakespeare; THANKFULLY THERE IS MOONLIGHT! by Sttau Monteiro, translated by Alice de Sousa; THE CRIME OF THE OLD VILLAGE by Alice de Sousa; THE HEIRESS OF THE CANE FIELDS by Alice de Sousa; THE SEAGULL by Anton Chekhov; A DOLL'S HOUSE by Henrik Ibsen; ABSENT FRIENDS by Alan Ayckbourn; KING LEAR by William Shakespeare; INÊS DE CASTRO by Alice de Sousa; CRIMES OF PASSION by Joe Orton; THE MAIAS by de Queirós; 'TIS PITY SHE'S A WHORE by John Ford; THE WHITE DEVIL by John Webster; 3 SISTERS by Anton Chekhov; IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST by Oscar Wilde; SHADOWS ON THE SUN by Barrie Keeffe; COUSIN BASÍLIO by de Queirós; HEDDA GABLER by Henrik Ibsen; YOU'RE GONNA LOVE TOMORROW by Stephen Sondheim; RICHARD III by William Shakespeare; PYGMALION by Bernard Shaw; COMPANY by Stephen Sondheim; HAMLET by William Shakespeare; THE TAMING OF THE SHREW by William Shakespeare; THE TEMPEST by William Shakespeare; THE PILGRIM by Almeida Garrett; THE GIRL'S CONSENT by L.F De Moratin; THE CONFIDENTIAL CLERK by T.S Elliot; MACBETH by William Shakespeare; DOCTOR FAUSTUS by Christopher Marlowe; A BILL OF DIVORCEMENT by Clemence Dane; LAVENDER SONG by Patricia Wood; THE CHERRY ORCHARD by Anton Chekhov; CROSS PURPOSE by Albert Camus; JULIUS CAESAR by William Shakespeare; ROMEO and JULIET by William Shakespeare; BAAL by Bertolt Brecht; THE SEAGULL by Anton Chekhov; THE DUCHESS OF MALFI by John Webster; CYMBELINE by William Shakespeare; The MERCHANT OF VENICE by William Shakespeare; ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL by William Shakespeare; THE INCA OF PERUSALEM by Bernard Shaw; THE DARK LADY OF THE SONNETS by Bernard Shaw; CELESTINA by Fernando de Rojas; THE SHEWING-UP BLANCO POSNET by Bernard Shaw; THE ZOO STORY by Edward Albee: PERICLES by William Shakespeare; ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS by Maxwell Anderson.
'For a feel-good experience where you walk home with a skip and glow inside, just pop down to the Greenwich Playhouse.' - News Shopper
Galleon Theatre Company - Artistic Policy
- To specialise in intelligent, relevant and audacious revivals of the classics;
- To present a repertoire which thrives on theatrical diversity and accessibility;
- To actively encourage the integration of theatre school graduates into the profession;
- To provide high quality theatre productions, comfort and an atmosphere conducive to theatre for both actors and audiences
- To create a balanced, entertaining, affordable, educational and accessible theatrical programme throughout the year, which is multicultural in focus and has no political or religious affiliation;
- To create opportunities to stage Iberian neglected texts and quality new writing.
‘Strive for excellence in everything you do; audaciously break boundaries and set standards through good practice and artistic integrity.’